THE 55th annual Welshpool and District Horticultural Society’s Spring Show was held last Friday and Saturday at the Welshpool Memorial Hall and was a sight to behold – a testament to the determination and talent of local gardening enthusiasts who presented their flowers and produce in tip-top condition.
The organisers are very pleased with both the number of entries and with the excellent attendance on both days.
The Spring Show was officially opened by Welshpool & District Primary School principal Gabbi Boyd who congratulated the entrants on their glorious displays and praised the members of the Welshpool and District Horticultural Society on organising such a successful event.
The annual plant was a great success with very empty benches at the close of the show. Members are now planning a list of plants to replenish stocks, ready for the next show.
Organisers were pleased to see four new exhibitors in this show, exhibiting for the very first time.
- The Best Exhibit in Show – Memorial Trophy, in particular acknowledging Ken Wigg and Rosemary Wood, and the RHSV S.S McKay Gold Medal was awarded to Arie Bos for his container of different varieties of Alstroemeria.
- The Best Exhibit in Class A (Cut Fowers, Shrubs and Trees) was awarded to Yvonne Austin for a fox glove spike. Other trophy winners in this category were J. Rutherford, O. Wigg, R. McPherson and C. Kearney.
- The Best Rose – Rose Society of Victoria Bronze Medal – was won by Arie Bos for a bloom of the Ian Thorpe rose. Arie also won Best Exhibit in Class B (Roses) for a container of David Austin roses.
- The Rose Championship was awarded to Arie Bos. Other award winners in the class were B. Nicoll and M. Stokes.
- Winners in Class C (Cut Flowers, Shrubs and Trees in Containers) were Hilary. Height, B. Partridge, S. Thompson and Jan Gyles.
- Best Exhibit in Class D (Plants Growing in Pots or Containers) was awarded to Yvonne Austin for a begonia. Other trophy winners in the section were Olga Wigg, W. Muir and B. Nicoll.
- Best Exhibit in Open Floral Art was awarded to Arie Bos for ‘By The Light of the Moon.’
- Best Exhibit Intermediate Floral Art was won by Margaret Eddy for ‘Green Arrangement.’
- Best exhibit in Class F (Fruit and Vegetables) was awarded to Jan Gyles for red lettuce.
- Other winners in this section were K. Crowl and P. Hay.
- Best Exhibit Home Garden Produce (collection of three items) was won by Terry Josephs.
- Best Exhibit in Class H (Snapshots) went to K. Alford.
- Voting for the Public Choice entries was by gold coin. Organisers are very grateful for everyone’s support, which has enabled there to be a helpful donation to the Welshpool Kindergarten. Each of the nine entries displayed plenty of originality and creativity in the theme of Decorated Footwear. The winner was Prue Fleming for ‘Puss in Boots.’
The Welshpool Horticultural Society members wish to extend a special thank you to the children of Welshpool & District Primary School for their murals and display and to Margaret Haycroft’s littlies’ group at the Foster Library who created floral rainbow colours on a plate for everyone to enjoy.
The organisers of the 55th annual Welshpool Horticultural Society’s Spring Flower Show are very grateful to all to made the show such a success, including those who organised the set up the tables and displays, to the exhibitors and judges and to all those who visited the show, and to those who purchased plants – all combining to make it a very enjoyable and worthwhile event.
The 2016 Autumn Show will be held on Friday and Saturday of the Labour Day weekend (March 11 and 12)