COUNCIL chambers were packed to the rafters as thirty-eight successful applicants were acknowledged at an awards ceremony on Wednesday, July 19.
$188,140 was awarded to community groups across South Gippsland under the categories of Minor Projects and Equipment; Celebrations, Festivals and Events; Major Projects and Planning and Development Studies including successful applications to the small Emergency Grants and Dairy Tight Times Support Events programs.
Council has now allocated almost $300,000 to more than 90 projects through the Community Grants Program in 2016/17.
Mayor Ray Argento opened the proceedings then handed over to CEO Tim Tamlin who presented the awards.
“Congratulations to all the community groups who were successful in receiving funding in what was a competitive pool of applications this year,” the Mayor said.
“It has been fantastic to see the number of projects that will now enhance the quality of life, heritage, recreation and cultural opportunities within South Gippsland as a result of this funding.
“The drive and commitment of the South Gippsland community is stellar. Everyone should be proud of their efforts to date and continue to aspire towards new heights,” he said.
Everyone stayed on for the delicious food and beverages that were served after the presentations.
“It’s my favourite night of the year,” said Media & Communications Co-ordinator Rick Rutjens. “It’s not often you get all those wonderful volunteers in one room.”
Successful Applicants and Project Funding Received:
- Welshpool Golf Club Removal of Tree Stumps and Clean up $7,500
- Foster and District Agricultural Society Inc. Family Day at the Foster Show $5,000
- Port Welshpool and District Maritime Museum Ride on Mower $2,500
- Mt Best Community Hall Association Inc. Final Coat of Paint $2,000
- Toora Bowling Club Inc. Club Refurbishment $10,000
- Australia Volunteer Coast Guard Association – Port Welshpool Replacement of Stern drive on vessel $5,000
- Tarwin Lower Mechanics Institute Committee of Management Hall Paint Project $2,500
- Corner Inlet Pony Club Inc. Ride on Mower $2,000
- Manna Gum Community House Inc. Foster Community Energy Project $10,000
- Manna Gum Community House Inc. Pamper Day $5,000
- Tarwin Lower and District Bowls Club Weather Shelters $10,000
- Korumburra Golf Club New Golf Club Shed $10,000
- Korumburra Golf Club Strategic Business Plan $9,000
- Korumburra A & P Association Family Day at the Korumburra Show $5,000
- Korumburra Recreation Reserve Gang Mower $2,000
- Poowong Football and Netball Club Inc. New Function Chairs $2,500
- Loch Memorial Reserve Committee of Management Inc. Loch Roch Family Passes $5,000
- Loch and District Bowls Club Replace Hot Water System $750
- Poowong Loch Junior Football Club Ground Lighting Repairs $1,500
- Korumburra City Soccer Club Flood Light Repairs $5,000
- Strzelecki Public Hall Inc. Carpark Maintenance $3,500
- Korumburra Recreation Centre New Floor Washer $5,000
- Lions Club of Strzelecki Poowong Family Fun Day $3,750
- Jaydee Events Painting Daisy Education Program $2,200
- Fish Creek Football netball Club Inc. Netball Court Repair $2,500
- Leongatha Daffodil and Dairy Festival Committee Leongatha Daffodil and Dairy Festival $5,000
- Leongatha Community Garden Kitchen Appliances and Equipment $1,000
- Stony Creek Racing Club Stony Creek Family Day $5,000
- Leongatha Community House Inc. Health and Safety Upgrades $1,500
- Leongatha Football Netball Club Waste Trap $5,500
- Nerrena Public Hall Committee Inc. Bathroom and Entry Renovations $8,000
- Leongatha Croquet Club Inc. Upgrading Specialised Mower $8,000
- Leongatha Golf Club Farmers Community Day $3,240 Corner Inlet Boxing Club (Leongatha Site) Full Size Boxing Ring $5,900
- Leongatha and District Netball Association L&DNA Business Development Plan $10,000
- Leongatha Auskick Leongatha Velodrome Common Pavilion Development $10,000
- Leongatha Community Garden Kitchen Upgrade $3,300
- Meeniyan Pony Club Inc. Arena Fencing Stage Two $2,500
Community groups can now apply for Round One of the 2017/18 Community Grants Program that is open until 31 August 2017. Those interested in making a submission can find both the guidelines and application on Council’s website at www.s