EXCITEMENT is mounting for Meeniyan’s biggest celebration of the year – the ‘Meeniyan on Fire’ event, which is to be held on Saturday 14 July.
The inaugural event, held last year, was instigated by the Meeniyan Tourism and Traders Association in celebration of the township’s full complement of shops, following the opening of the new IGA supermarket.
Meeniyan will once again be ablaze with plenty of action and entertainment to keep all members of the family happy.
Sponsored by the Meeniyan Tourism and Traders Association, the Meeniyan Progress Association and the Gardiner Foundation, the day’s activities will kick off at 9am and will continue non-stop all day and well into the evening.
- Wander up and down the main street and be amazed at the goodies you will find on offer. Everyone loves a bargain and you never know what you’ll find at the car boot sale and traders’ street stalls. There will also be a treasure hunt, a spinning wheel and plenty of giveaways.
- While you’re wandering around town, taking in the fun and excitement, make sure to get a ticket for the $1000 hamper prize which will be drawn during the Family Bush Dance at the Meeniyan Town Hall at around 8.30pm.
- The kids will have heaps of fun in the jumping castle or trying their skill with golf putting or abseiling. They can also take part in the CFA’s ‘smoke house’ activity to hone up their safety skills.
- A roving clown will keep everyone laughing and a face painter will be on hand to create amazing transformations. The kids could be tigers for the day – or perhaps pirates or vampires!
- The CFA will also be holding a sausage sizzle and Hope Farm Bakery will be there with their delicious organic sourdough bread and gluten-free goodies.
- Radio 3GG will be broadcasting live from Meeniyan and there will be music all day, performed by local Gippsland bands and entertainers, including The Buffalo Boys, Tarago Country, Accoustic Kitchen, Begs To Differ, the South Gippsland Wind Orchestra and Andy Mitchell.
- Go along to the Tarwin Valley Primary School and pick up a show bag or try your luck at the lucky dip stand.
- The fun will continue throughout the entire day and into the evening, culminating with a Family Bush Dance at the Meeniyan Town Hall from 7pm, featuring entertainment from ‘The Buffalo Boys.’
Entry is only $5 per person, or $10 for a family ticket, (children 12 and under free). A light meal of ‘specialty’ hotdogs will be available from 6pm and an old-fashioned country supper can be had for just a gold coin donation.
To book, call Denise at the Meeniyan Golf Club on 5664 7490 and leave your contact details for her to call you back.
For further information on the day’s events or to book a car boot site, phone Marty at Moo’s on 5664 0010 or Kellie at the Duck Hutt on 5664 0100.
The Gardiner Foundation, a major sponsor of the event, is assisting in strengthening small Victorian dairy communities – such as the Lower Tarwin Valley district – building their capacity to deal with local issues and enhancing existing community infrastructure. The program also seeks to expand the number and diversity of people involved in community groups and activities.
For further information regarding the Gardiner Foundation, visit www.gardinerfoundation.com.au