I am sending this email to keep you informed of the latest information on coronavirus (COVID-19). I appreciate there is a lot of information swirling about at the moment and I will endeavour not to email you unless there is a new and important update.
As you may be aware, the Prime Minister and the Premier have announced stage 2 restrictions on business and activity to try to further reduce the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
STAGE 2 RESTRICTIONS
From midnight tonight the following activities must cease:
*please note this list includes venues and activities that were prohibited in stage 1 restrictions
- Pubs, registered and licensed clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues), hotels (excluding accommodation), restaurants and cafes – delivery and take away can remain operational;
- Food courts – delivery and take away can remain operational;
- Auction houses;
- Real estate auctions and open house inspections – private appointments for inspection are permissible;
- Outdoor and indoor markets – food markets will continue to operate;
- Hairdressers and barber shops – up to 30 minute appointments, applying the 1 person per 4 square metre rule in the premises, are permitted;
- Beauty therapy, tanning, waxing, nail salons, tattoo parlours;
- Spa and massage parlours;
- Cinemas, entertainment venues, casinos, gaming or gambling venues, and night clubs;
- Strip clubs, brothels and sex-on-premises venues;
- Concert venues, theatres, arenas, auditoriums, stadiums;
- Amusement parks and arcades;
- Indoor and outdoor play centres;
- Community and recreation centres – facilities may remain open for the purpose of hosting essential voluntary or public services, such as food banks or homeless services;
- Gyms, health clubs, fitness centres, yoga, barre and spin facilities, saunas, bathhouses and wellness centres;
- Boot camps, personal training operating outside and inside – for outside events, limited to groups of no more than 10 people, social distancing rules must be applied;
- Social sporting-based activities;
- Swimming pools;
- Caravan and camping parks – excluding permanent residents or as an interim abode where the primary residence is not available;
- Galleries, museums, national institutions and historic sites;
- Libraries, community centres and youth centres;
- Local government non-essential facilities and services (such as community halls, clubs, RSLs);
- Religious gatherings, places of worship;
- Weddings – weddings with a maximum attendance of no more than 5 people, where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies, are permitted; and
- Funerals – funerals attended by a maximum of no more than 10 people, where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies, are permitted.
NEXT STEPS AND SUPPORT
The National Cabinet, comprised of the Prime Minister and state and territory leaders including the Victorian Premier, have made clear that further restrictions are likely. At this stage I don’t know what that may involve, but we have been pressing the state government to ensure there is clarity about what might be considered essential and non-essential businesses and activities in future.
You can find out more information on health issues, business and personal support from the state government here: www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au
The Australian Government also has a very useful website with lots of information, advice and support options for individuals and businesses here: www.australia.gov.au
WHAT TO DO IF YOU BECOME UNWELL
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, breathing difficulties, cough, sore throat, and fatigue or tiredness. If you suspect that you or someone you know might have coronavirus, please call the dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398. You can also use this handy symptom checker.
To seek medical help from a doctor or hospital, call ahead of time to book an appointment and ensure they are aware of your symptoms.
For everyone else, please stay at home if you can, stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and wash your hands.
I’M HERE TO HELP
As always, my little team is working hard to help you.
In line with official advice, my office is physically closed but if you need us, we’re only an email or phone call away.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch via 5144 1987 or email@example.com
State Member for Gippsland South